Two quarters done and not halfway there.

The second quarter panel and wheel tub have been installed and metal finished. Just need to finish removing the shock bracket for the coilover. The rear vertical seam was hammered and dolly-ed over to place the butt joint in fresh metal rather than in the old thin welded seam.

One quarter panel on one to go

One quarter panel had been installed and metal finished. More hammer and dolly work is still required on the rear seam to smooth things out. The RH quarter panel and wheel tub has been removed and is now being prepped for the new. While the quarter is removed I installed the mounting brackets for the RH tank and modifed the tank to fit around the roll bar. The gas tank had a relief pounded in with a nylon metal shaping mallet to clear the roll cage mount.

Wax and polish

I went by and did a wax and polish on the car as the customer has almost finished the assembly. I must admit the customer did a great job on the reassembly and the restoration of all the parts. Here are a few pictures of the almost complete car.

Quarter panel replacement

The owner decided that he would rather run without flairs. This meant that both rear quarters will need replaced along with the wheel tubs to return to a stock appearance.  Having a cage welded into the car is a double edged sword, it is in the way and you bang your head on it while working, but nothing needs to be braced as it is all welded into one structure.

Front end spotwelded

The front end of the car is completely spotweled in place as the factory did. Both door steps are welded in along with the A-Panels. The A-panels and door steps were butt welded in place rather than the typical lapping over in the door jamb, this gives a seamless appearance as the factory work.

A new project

This car has been waiting in the wings for it day under the knife. It has had quite a few body modifications, repairs, and patching. As this is a custom build the customer taped over the holes that needed to be welded up (green tape in photos). The goal is for a clean vintage style mini, with a dash of early 60’s coachwork.  As of now the car is receiving a new front end and lower doorsteps/ quarter panels to bring back body lines and fix damage/ repairs.

Finished

The Cooper S is finally finished and ready for delivery. The body has been wet-sanded, polished and glazed. The owner has already assembled the frames and engine, ready to drop in and finish assembly. It is going to be a beautiful car when finished with a red and gold brocade interior.

The polishing stage

In the restoration industry everything that is painted is polished. If it is a show car then it is cut and polished. The “cut” refer to wet sanding the surface down top remove the orange peal for a glass smooth finish. Here are some of the parts and the body after the final cut and polish.

Another Black Roof

Roof was scuffed and painted black. Black has to be one of my favorite colors to paint as it show that you did the prepwork right, it will also show if you skipped a step or got lazy at any point. After final polish it will be a mirror finish as all black roofs should be. You will notice that the rear number plate was also painted gloss black to match the roof perfectly.