Cross member in and epoxy primed

The body is in epoxy primer to after metal bumping the quarter panels to remove the dents. The car was full of crush rivets from old fender flairs and other holes in the body that had been filled. All the rivets were drilled out and the holes welded up. The cross-member had two sleeves welded in before mounting to reinforce were the racing seat will bolt in.

Media blasting in house

We are officially blasting car in house, with our new dustless blaster.

Be sure to also see the video on our Facebook Page

The Body man test

If you ever want to test a bodyshops skills send them a car that has been a race car it’s entire life. This car seems to have been hit from all sides and has been rolled once. The owner wants to keep the roof because it is part of the history of the car. The modifications to the car are endless and most will have to be corrected. Currently I have replaced the bulkhead, upper and lower dash rail, and the front clip including inner fenders as the car arrived with a flip front. The cross-member and boot floor have also been removed before media blasting.

Finished and off

The never ending MK1 reconstruction is done painted and off to the owner for reassembly.   The paint scheme is thinking out of the box and has grown on me as I finished the car. The stripes and door circles are buried under 5 total coats of clear to give a seamless finish.

Progress

The car is almost ready to be put up on the rotisserie and have the floors finished up and undercoated. Both doors has been reskinned as the one that came on the car were installed incorrectly and did not line up with the body lines or have even gaps the front panel has had two new struts fabricated and installed so the factory center strut could be removed for header clearance.

The doors are now re installed and being blocked out with the body work for a seamless finish.

Two quarters done and not halfway there.

The second quarter panel and wheel tub have been installed and metal finished. Just need to finish removing the shock bracket for the coilover. The rear vertical seam was hammered and dolly-ed over to place the butt joint in fresh metal rather than in the old thin welded seam.

One quarter panel on one to go

One quarter panel had been installed and metal finished. More hammer and dolly work is still required on the rear seam to smooth things out. The RH quarter panel and wheel tub has been removed and is now being prepped for the new. While the quarter is removed I installed the mounting brackets for the RH tank and modifed the tank to fit around the roll bar. The gas tank had a relief pounded in with a nylon metal shaping mallet to clear the roll cage mount.

Wax and polish

I went by and did a wax and polish on the car as the customer has almost finished the assembly. I must admit the customer did a great job on the reassembly and the restoration of all the parts. Here are a few pictures of the almost complete car.

Quarter panel replacement

The owner decided that he would rather run without flairs. This meant that both rear quarters will need replaced along with the wheel tubs to return to a stock appearance.  Having a cage welded into the car is a double edged sword, it is in the way and you bang your head on it while working, but nothing needs to be braced as it is all welded into one structure.