This project was a literally a rebuild from the ground up. Not a single panel went untouched even the roof. The lower half of the body had rust repaired previously, but it appeared to have been done after the pickup was in an accident, thus making the twist/ damage to the body permanent. Because of the poor repairs the entire lower section was built from new panels and what was left of the cab was set on top The single hardest part of the bodyshell restoration was filling in the sunroof hole. The sunroof had caused a flat spot in the center of the hole and had to be corrected along with filling the hole. Took 2+ days to weld up and metalwork the roof back to the correct shape.
Just finished a B16 swap for a customer. Engine and subframe were completely mocked up then removed for final cleaning and paint. Engine is a stock B16 running a factory ECU, Quaife LSD, 3.42 final drive, Fully welded/modified intake, and A/C to go with it all.
Here is the finished PPE going back to 7ent for assembly. The last few pictures are of the completed car at the Carmel By The Sea Concourse, and at the Monterey reunion race.
The metal work is finally done, the doors have new skins installed and painted, yes painted. The reason the interior of the door was painted before installing the door skins, is the car will have no door panels being a race car. Taking time now to pre-paint areas that would be difficult later ensure the best quality in hard to reach areas (inside the doors). The door gaps also need quite a bit of adjusting to even thing out and ensure an even gap around the doors. Now to use some filler to fine tune the body and prep for primer.
The boot floor is in and plug welded into place. Just need to install the OE tank mounts and rear valence. and the body is ready for block sanding and primer.
The body is in epoxy primer to after metal bumping the quarter panels to remove the dents. The car was full of crush rivets from old fender flairs and other holes in the body that had been filled. All the rivets were drilled out and the holes welded up. The cross-member had two sleeves welded in before mounting to reinforce were the racing seat will bolt in.
We are officially blasting car in house, with our new dustless blaster.
Be sure to also see the video on our Facebook Page
If you ever want to test a bodyshops skills send them a car that has been a race car it’s entire life. This car seems to have been hit from all sides and has been rolled once. The owner wants to keep the roof because it is part of the history of the car. The modifications to the car are endless and most will have to be corrected. Currently I have replaced the bulkhead, upper and lower dash rail, and the front clip including inner fenders as the car arrived with a flip front. The cross-member and boot floor have also been removed before media blasting.
The never ending MK1 reconstruction is done painted and off to the owner for reassembly. The paint scheme is thinking out of the box and has grown on me as I finished the car. The stripes and door circles are buried under 5 total coats of clear to give a seamless finish.
The car is almost ready to be put up on the rotisserie and have the floors finished up and undercoated. Both doors has been reskinned as the one that came on the car were installed incorrectly and did not line up with the body lines or have even gaps the front panel has had two new struts fabricated and installed so the factory center strut could be removed for header clearance.
The doors are now re installed and being blocked out with the body work for a seamless finish.